In this special briefing, leading journalist Jennifer Baker picks out the top 5 tech issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Luxembourg EU presidency:
- The Luxembourg Presidency has pledged to have a position on the Data Protection Directive (for law enforcement) worked out by October 2015, and trialogue on the Data Protection Regulation done by the end of the year
- The new presidency will have to take upon itself to fix the controversial net neutrality provision of the Telecom Single Market Package.
- The Copyright report: Commissioner Gunther Oettinger is due to present his proposal before the end of the year.
- The Commission’s antitrust competition inquiry into the e-commerce sector, to identify possible competition concerns affecting European e-commerce markets.
- Cybersecurity: the Luxembourg Presidency will have to find a way of overcoming Member States’ reservations about implementing the Network and Information Security (NIS) directive.