In this special briefing, leading journalist Jennifer Baker picks out the top 5 tech issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Latvian EU Presidency.
- On the top of the agenda is the Data Protection Regulation: Latvian presidency will be pushing for a Council position
- Copyright reform: Pirate Party MEP Julia Reda is reviewing the current Infosoc Directive; digital Commissioner Günther Oettinger is due to present his copyright reform
- Google case: possible Android case and more interest expected in legislating apps in general, not least in-app purchases
- Latvian Presidency says it wants a compromise on the Telecoms Package, however some concerns are raised around the high quality services, which can mean differentiated services provoking fears over Net Neutrality
- Under the Latvian Presidency of the Council we can expect to see an ongoing debate on surveillance and security, particularly in light of the Snowden allegations