In this special briefing, leading journalist Jennifer Baker picks out the Top 5 Tech priorities that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Dutch EU presidency:
- Encryption: The Dutch government took a strong stance against encryption backdoors.
- Smart borders: The plan is to set up a digital framework to monitor all non-EU nationals entering and exiting the EU.
- Safe Harbour: The Presidency will pay close attention Commissioner Jourova’s ‘Safer’ Harbour negotiations with the US.
- Digital Single Market: Justice and Home Affairs ministers and Competition ministers will meet several times over the next six months in an effort to move forward with the Digital Single Market.
- Spectrum Reform: Telecoms ministers in May will look at strategies for the future of the UHF broadcasting band and how to slice and dice the available spectrum.