In this Brussels Briefing on Tech, leading journalist Jennifer Baker provides an extensive update on the latest EU digital & ICT policy developments:
- European Commission negotiations over net neutrality and roaming have stalled.
- French president Francois Hollande announces plans to create a legal definition of net-neutrality.
- Digital Economy Commissioner Günther Oettinger says he will launch an Audiovisual Media Services Directive in the coming weeks.
- The Commission launches a comprehensive assessment of the role of online platforms.
- Telecoms sectors mergers: Competition Commissioner Vestager denies political motivations in her targetting of big U.S. tech firms.
- Anti-trust cases: Google asks for an extension to prepare its defence to the probe for alleged abuses of its dominance in the search sector.
- Copyright: 8 July sees a plenary vote on Pirate Party MEP Julia Reda’s report.
- The Council finds common ground on the General Data Protection Regulation: the first trialogue meeting is scheduled for 24 June.
Featuring a statement from EU Commissioner for Digital Economy Günther Oettinger, Pastora Valero – head of the head of Government Affairs for the EMEAR (Europe, Middle East, Africa and Russia) region at Cisco and James Holtum, ECR Group spokesperson.