Giovanni La Via – Chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) – speaks with leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen about the environment priorities for the new parliamentary term.
Topics discussed include:
- The GMOs dossier: should be closed “in a short time”
- Plastic bags: MEPs support charges on bags, better use of thin-film and biodegradable bags. La Via hopes to reach an agreement by the end of this year.
- Shipping emissions: positions of MEPs are “not very different”, but “I am not sure if we can find a final agreement before the end of this year”
- EU ETS reform: “the majority of MEPs want to accept the market stability reserve“
- EU’s nature legislation: “we want to improve legislation in this field”
Recorded on 7 October 2014.