In this latest Brussels Briefing on Environment leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest developments in the field of European environment policy.
Topics discussed include:
– Karmenu Vella’s – Commissioner-designate for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries – hearing by the European Parliament: MEPs have given green light, but requested Commission President Juncker to include sustainability in the portfolio of Vice-President Jyrki Katainen.
– European Parliament hearing of Miguel Arias Cañete, Commissioner-designate for Climate Action and Energy, on 1 October
– EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS): talks on a new market stability reserve for EU ETS are about to start
– United Nations Climate Summit on 23 September: no big news from New York
– MEPs and the member states are restarting negotiations on plastic bags and CO2 from shipping
– Issues to look ahead: air quality, biodiversity and oil sands
Featuring statements by: Karmenu Vella, Commissioner-designate for Environment, Maritime Affairs & Fisheries, and Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action.