In this Brussels Briefing on Environment, leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest EU environment policy developments:
- The European Environment Agency (EEA) has issued its State of the Environment Report
- The Circular Economy Package presented by previous EU Environment Commissioner Janez Potočnik has been officially withdrawn. A new package due after the summer, will include binding recycling targets
- To be presented this spring: a “State of Nature” report
- EU Environment Council on Friday 6 March
- MEPs are poised to start negotiations with Member States on the EU ETS Market Stability Reserve (MSR) and new rules on indirect land-use change (ILUC) for biofuels
- Heating and cooling conference plugs district heating and heat pumps
Featuring statements by EU Environment Commissioner Karmenu Vella, Ivo Belet MEP (EPP), rapporteur for the greenhouse gas emission trading scheme (EU ETS) and Nils Torvalds MEP (ALDE), the European Parliament’s rapporteur on Indirect Land-Use Change (ILUC).