In this Brussels Briefing on Environment, leading environment journalist Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest developments in the field of European Environment Policy.
Topics discussed include:
– EU Summit: climate, energy and industrial competitiveness on the agenda (March 20 and 21)
– Provisional agreement on including aviation in the EU’s Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
– The start of the ETS backloading plan
– Provisional deals on a tougher waste shipments directive
– New social and environmental reporting rules for companies
– Environment ministers unblocking talks on national bans on cultivating GM crops
– Greening the European Semester
Featuring statements by: Climate Commissioner Connie Hedegaard; Peter Liese, rapporteur on Aviation in ETS and Health Commissioner Tonio Borg.