In this special briefing, leading energy journalist Hughes Belin picks out the top 5 energy issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Luxembourg Presidency of the Council of the European Union:
- Energy union: The Luxembourg presidency will give priority to the development of a governance system based on a dialogue between the European Commission and the Member States.
- Several internal energy proposals will also be high on the agenda, notably the electricity market redesign proposals to be published by the Commission mid-July.
- Research: Luxembourg will emphasize the importance of innovation, R&D, and new technologies in the renewable energy and energy efficiency sectors.
- The first EU Infrastructure Forum will take place under the Luxembourg Presidency. €650 million in grants are available for energy project in 2015.
- On nuclear, the Luxembourg presidency will assist member states in their implementation of recently adopted EU legislations.