In this Brussels Briefing on Energy, leading energy journalist Hughes Belin provides an overview of the European Union’s most pressing energy issues:
– Juncker Commission: merged energy and climate portfolio given to Miguel Arias Cañete from Spain and Slovenia’s Alenka Bratušek will become Vice President for the Energy Union.
– New EU sanctions against Russia: three Russian oil firms in target
– Trilateral talks on the Ukrainian gas debt may take place in Berlin on 20 September
– European Energy Commissioner Günther Oettinger is expected to tackle three issues before leaving:
– European Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia is expected to deliver his decision on the Hinkley Point C nuclear project
– Informal Energy and Environment Council in Brussels on 6 October