In this Brussels Briefing on Energy, leading journalist Hughes Belin provides an overview of the latest EU energy policy developments.
- Internal energy market: Commission launched a state aid inquiry into Member States’ capacity mechanisms.
Climate Action and Energy Commissioner Cañete travelled to North Africa on 5-7 May to deepen energy and climate ties between the EU and the Mediterranean region:
- Cañete launched a EU-Algeria energy dialogue.
- In Morocco, he set in motion three Euro-Mediterranean Platforms to incentivise dialogue and boost investments.
Other recent important policy developments include:
- G7 energy ministers met in Hamburg to discuss ways to boost sustainable energy security.
- On 20 May, Vice-President Maroš Šefčovič started a European Energy Union Tour.
On the agenda for June:
- 28th meeting of European Electricity Regulatory Forum (4-5 June, Florence);
- Energy Council (8 June);
- EU Sustainable Energy Week (15-19 June);
- Launch of the Commission consultation on a new electricity market design (8 July).